I recently had the task to fix reporting for an AX 2012 R3 CU12 environment. The database server is SQL Server 2016.
We knew it was supported. Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 System Requirements document was updated in 2017 June with SQL 2016 support related information.
Dynamics AX Reporting Services Extension install crash
SSRS and AX were just not set up when I first checked. After many normal setup stuff and errors that I do not detail here, I decided to reinstall Dynamics AX Reporting Services Extension. Well, that just did not work. It crashed while installation or asked for inserting another disk.
Event log holds 2 errors at this time:
- “Faulting application name: AxSetup.exe. … Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll…”
- “The description for Event ID 139 from source Dynamics .NET Business Connector 6.0 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.The following information was included with the event:
Error 2 during access to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics AX\60\SetupSupport\axsysHU.ktd.
The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file”
Found this on LCS issue search:
So we downloaded the package from here and installed Shared Management Objects x64 from it on the SQL server. We also slipstreamed this to our AX install folder KB3216898. After these, we could do the extension installation.
Sharepoint integration mode issue
One step forward, but reports still did not work. They could be deployed, but could not be opened from AX.
Message instead of the reports: “WARNING: Make sure that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed correctly on this machine. Verify that all prerequisites are installed and services are running before installing the Business Intelligence Components for Microsoft Dynamics AX.”
Same for PowerShell command: ‘Test-AXReportServerConfiguration -id Default’.
Validation failed at line 20 of this method: \Forms\SRSServersForm\Methods\checkIfSharepoint.
The call in that line which gives the error calls out of AX: isSharepoint = proxy.queryWMIForSharePointIntegratedMode(serverName, serverUrl);
Well, we knew that our SSRS is in Native mode, not SharePoint integrated mode so, for now, we replaced this validation with returning false and reports started to work (after CIL compile).
Hope this will be useful for someone out there.